|"The Collect Call Of Cathulhu"
Season 1-Syndicated, Episode 28
Aired: Tuesday October 27, 1987
Writer: Michael Reaves
Synopsis: The Necronomicon (a rare book of spells) is stolen from the Public Library and a cult is trying to awaken Cathulhu, one of the great Old Ones.
- Jodi Carlisle [Candy, Alice]
Regular Cast Incidentals
- Arsenio Hall [Watchman, Mr. Howard]
- Maurice LaMarche [Klein, Cult Leader]
- Frank Welker [Punk, Ashton]
- The script for this episode can be found on The Real Ghostbusters Scripts page.
- Title Reference: "The Call of Cthulhu" is a short story by H. P. Lovecraft, which was first published in the pulp magazine Weird Tales in February 1928. A "collect call" is one in which the caller goes through the operator in order to get the person being called to pay for the cost of the phone call.
- The voice actors were recorded on July 30, 1986.
- The title on the episode call sheet was "The Collect Call of Cthulhu".
- The characters Clark Ashton, Ted Kline, Alice Derleth, Wagner, and Mr. Howard are named after the authors with whom H.P. Lovecraft corresponded.
- The spell that Alice chants to turn the Shoggoth into stone - "Duppira al-kushni, askupati ani kalatum!" - was first uttered in the Dungeons & Dragons episode "Day of the Dungeon Master" also written by Michael Reaves. More information, as well and the related video clips, can be found on this page.