History - written by Chris Buchner (used with permission)
In the 17th Century while New York was under Dutch rule, City Hall was originally in the old City Tavern on Pearl Street. In 1700, a new City Hall was built on the corners of Nassau and Wall Streets and renamed Federal Hall when the city became the nation's capital. After the Revolutionary War, the Common Council decided to build a new City Hall at the Common located at what was the Northern limits of the city and now City Hall Park.
John McComb Jr. and Joseph Francois Mangin won the competition for the City Hall project, as well as $350. Construction was delayed until 1803 because the Common Council had objections to the assumed cost of the project. The size of the building was reduced and cheaper materials substituted. Construction was slow and tedious with frequent interruptions over labor disputes and a Yellow Fever outbreak. The building was dedicated in 1811 and opened in 1812. The exterior reflects the French Renaissance while the inside reflects the American-Georgian style.