Atari 2600 Version
Here follows the Original Atari 2600 GB1 game's documentation found at http://www.io.com/~vga2000
YOUR GHOSTBUSTERS FRANCHISE
The bank has loaned you $5,00 to start your own Ghostbusters franchise. Earn enough money busting ghosts before their dangerous energy emissions (PK energy) reach critical mass at 9999. Otherwise, your business will be foreclosed.
The first screen you see after pressing the GAME RESET is the equipment selection screen. Move the arrow up and down by moving the joystick up and down. Buy equipment to outfit you ghostbusting vehicle by pressing the button when the arrow is pointed at the equipment you want. (The name of each piece of equipment will appear at the bottom of the screen as you point to it.) You being with $500 as shown on the bottom of the screen. Your purchase selections may include the following items:
* IMAGE INTENSIFIER makes ghosts in buildings ("slimers") easier to see.(See "BUSTING GHOSTS.") You may only purchase on image intensifier. Cost: $800
* BAIT prevents the Marshmallow Man from destroying buildings. (See "OUT OF CONTROL.") Cost: $400 for an unlimited supply.
* GHOST VACUUM sucks up the "roamer" as you travel the street of the city. (See "THE STREETS.") Cost: $500.
* TRAPS are used to catch and store slimers. You MUST buy at least ONE trap. The maximum number of traps you can purchase is nine(if you have enough money). Each trap holds one ghost.(See "BUSTING GHOSTS.") Cost: $600 each.
Once you have purchased all of the equipment you want,move the left difficulty switch. (If it was previously set to 'A' then move it to 'B'. If it was previously set to 'B' then move it to 'A') You will now see the map screen.
(A picture of the map screen appears here)
On the map of the city, Zuul's horrible temple (spook central) can be found at the top of the screen, The Ghostbusters symbol (representing your vehicle) marks your location. Any city block that is flashing read indicates the presence of a slimer in the building.
* Guide your vehicle directly ABOVE or BELOW a red flashing city block by moving the joystick in the appropriate directions. Time is of the essence, so choose your route carefully! Freeze all roamers (ghosts heading for Zuul) by simply touching one of them.
* To get to the building directly ABOVE the street you're on, just press the red button. To get to the building directly BELOW the street you're on, pull back on the joystick and press the button.
NOTE: Ghostbusters Headquarters is the second complete block form the left on the bottom row. When it's flashing yellow, you must go there immediately. In fact, you can't go anywhere else! Once there, you will automatically get new equipment and men.
You must have purchased the vacuum to capture roamers on the streets. Steer the vehicles towards passing roamers (if you had proven any on the map) and press the button to vacuum them up. This keeps them from getting to the Temple of Zuul. The city's PK energy reading jumps 100 points for each roamer that gets to Zuul.
When you arrive at the site of a ghostly disturbance, take the following steps with the joystick:
* Direct the first Ghostbuster (he automatically appears on the screen) towards the center of the building, and push the button to deposit the trap. Then move him to the far left of the screen by moving the joystick to the left, turn him towards the trap by moving the joystick back to the right and push the button again.
* The second Ghostbuster will then appear. Direct him to the far right of the screen, turn him towards the trap and push the button. Both Ghostbusters will power on their negative ionizer backpacks. The energy streams thrown from the backpacks are used to trap the ghosts,
* Move your Ghostbuster gradually inward using the joystick and trap the slimer between the streams. But do no - repeat, Do NOT - cross the streams.
* When you have the slimer over the trap, press the button. The trap will pull him in. (Be precise. If you miss, you'll get slimed. Ugh!)
* Every trapped slimer increases your earnings. The quicker you catch each slimer, the more you'll earn. The amount of money in your account is shown constantly on the bottom of the screen.
* Every slimer that escapes from a building increases the PK level of the city by 300 units.
* When you run out of traps, get two of your men slimed or cross your streams, you must go to Ghostbusters Headquarters to get new equipment and men.
OUT OF CONTROL
Periodically you will lose all control of your Ghostbusters while on the map screen. Your vehicle (Ghostbusters symbol) will freeze up! Also you will notice that the roamers start moving considerably faster towards Zuul. This means that the menacing, monstrous Marshmallow Man is quickly approaching, Your only way out is to drop bait - if you bought any.
To bait the Marshmallow Man, move the right difficulty switch. If it is on 'A' switch it to 'B'; if it is on 'B' switch it to 'A'.
* If you're fast enough, you'll bait the Marshmallow Man and earn $2000. He'll appear on screen but quickly run off.
* If you're not fast enough, the Marshmallow Man will stomp on one of your blocks and you'll lose $4000.
FINISHED - OR NOT?
The game ends in one of two ways.
1. The city's PK energy level reaches 9999, and you do NOT have at least $10,00. The game will instantly go into demonstration mode. The amount of money you ended up with will remain on the screen for approximately three minutes. To start over, press GAME RESET. You will begin again, starting with $5000.
2. The city's PK energy level reaches 9999, and you DO have at least $10,00. You will have the opportunity to continue playing with your accumulated earnings.
But, first, you must try to sneak two out of three of your Ghostbusters safely past the jumping Marshmallow Man by going between his legs.
If successful you have conquered Zuul - for now. You'll see two Ghostbusters crossing their streams and you'll receive a $2000 BONUS. If you do NOT sneak to of the Ghostbusters past the Marshmallow Man, you can still go on to the round of the game.
Either way, just switch the GAME SELECT or GAME RESET to go to the selection screen. You will start the new round with your accumulated earnings from the last round.
After you have again chosen you supplies and equipment, switch the left difficulty switch as you did at the beginning of the first round.
To continue on to subsequent rounds, you will have to accumulate at least another $10,000 in each round. If you don't make at least $10,000 more, you'll have to start the game over from the beginning. This will be true for all rounds following the first one.
NOTE: The $2,000 BONUS for sneaking two Ghostbusters past the Marshmallow Man will automatically be applied to your $10,000 goal in the next round so you'll only have to earn an additional $8,000.
[These docs were transcribed from the game version distributed by HES in Australia.]
Video Game Advantage WWW manual archive --